4 pounds chicken, cut up
3 tablespoons seasoned salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 packet dry Italian salad dressing mix
3 tablespoons sugar
3 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1.5 ounce dry onion soup mix
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 ounce spaghetti sauce mix
1/4 cup cold water
3 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
1 tablespoon cayenne to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, seasoned salt, paprika, baking soda, salad dressing mix, soup mix, spaghetti sauce mix, sugar, and cayenne.
3. Place cornflakes in another bowl and whisk eggs with water in a separate dish.
4. Coat the chicken with flour, then egg, cornflakes, and lightly in flour again.
5. Heat oil to 365°F in a deep skillet.
5. Fry chicken in batches until browned, around 3-4 minutes per side.
6. Arrange fried chicken in the greased dish.
7. Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 more minutes for crispiness
Serve this delicious Copycat Popeye’s Fried Chicken hot, alongside your choice of sides and condiments. Warning: this mouthwatering dish may cause cravings that can only be satisfied by a second helping! Enjoy the true essence of Southern comfort food in the comfort of your own home with this Copycat Popeye’s Fried Chicken recipe.