Classic fresh strawberry pie… if you’ve never had it, you absolutely MUST try it! This copycat version tastes JUST like the Frisch’s Big Boy or Shoneys treat, and is made super easy. Just 6 common ingredients and an easy pre-made frozen pie crust… you can totally do this!
You guys, I’m so excited to share this pie with you all today!! Here in Cincinnati, Spring means two things… Reds baseball, and Frisch’s Big Boy will be serving strawberry pie soon.
But now I don’t have to wait, I can have this pie any time I want… and so can YOU!
Aside from my crust issues lol, this is actually a really easy pie to make!
- Pre-bake the pie crust (according to the package directions), and let cool
- Boil water, sugar and cornstarch until thick, then whisk in dry strawberry gelatin
- Let mixture cool slightly, whisking occasionally
- Slice strawberries and add them to baked pie crust
- Pour gelatin mixture over the top, refrigerate for at least 4 hours
This strawberry pie tastes JUST like the classic pie from Frisch’s Big Boy/Shoneys! It uses 6 simple ingredients, and a pre-made pie crust to make it easy!
- ▢1 frozen pie crust (deep dish if you can find it)
- ▢1 1/4 cups water
- ▢1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- ▢3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ▢3 Tbsp dry strawberry gelatin (like Jello – about 1/2 a 3 oz box)
- ▢2 cups sliced strawberries (sliced in half or quarters, depending on size of berries)
- ▢whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
- Prick bottom and sides of frozen pie crust with fork, and bake according to package directions. If you’re worried about the crust puffing up, before baking, place a piece of parchment paper inside the crust and add about a cup of dried beans or rice. Let cool.
- To a small sauce pan, add water, sugar, and cornstarch and whisk to combine. Heat over MED heat until boiling, reduce heat a bit and simmer several minutes, until thickened.
- Whisk in dry strawberry gelatin and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Wash and slice strawberries, then add to cooled pie crust. Pour strawberry gelatin mixture over strawberries. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, until set.
- Serve cold, with whipped cream if desired.